The politicians play “DJ” day after day, spinning you their remix, their cut, their tracks. Now it’s time for the ultimate mix, the original authentic sound. The Truth.
Created by the Olympic Generation from Hackney, Prospero is a DJ fused music, texts and visuals to tell a powerful tale. It was performed on Saturday 21st October 2006 at the Hackney Empire, alongside the final performance of “God is a DJ”
Prospero is a DJ was inspired by the play God is a DJ by Oladip Apboluaje.
Theatre Centre worked in partnership with The Learning Trust, Hackney and Cardinal Pole and Homerton Secondary schools for the duration of the project, which aimed to:
· Raise achievement with Year 11 students through English GCSE coursework.
· Explore selected scenes /speeches in Shakespeare’s The Tempest particularly in relation to the contemporary drama God is a DJ by Dipo Agboluaje.
· Motivate, stimulate and engage young people through the power of live performance and the rhythms of word and sound.
· Give a professional platform to Teenage Voices from Hackney.
· Encourage family and friends to support the young people’s work
“Prospero is a DJ” generated opportunities for original writing and the chance for 60 young people to present their work professionally at Hackney Empire
"I go to Hertswood school in Borehamwood. I would just like to give a message to the actors and producers of the production "God is a DJ" that I thought it was fantastic and the actors were great in every way."
Audience Member, 14 years old
If you would like to receive our regular newsletter, with information about Theatre Centre productions, tours, projects and opportunities, please fill in the form on the right.
We are committed to keeping your data safe and we will only ever email you information that you have agreed to receive and will never share your email with anyone else.