Birds and Bees by Charlotte Josephine
One click and it’s gone too far, far too fast.
As explicit photos of the school’s ‘it’ couple go viral, and real-world consequences of online life spread, so do everyone’s opinions.
Leilah is starting to wonder if her Instagram feels more like a burden than ‘living her best life’.
Aarron is learning how to be a man online and it’s starting to feel toxic.
Maisy’s not that into sex, thank you very much. So why’s everyone always talking about it?
Billy’s queer and proud, accepted by their friends but ignored by the education system. They’re tired of feeling invisible.
Thrown together in detention, will these four look past their differences, tackle some scary questions and realise their own power to make change?
Award-winning writer Charlotte Josephine’s new play fuses spoken word with live sound and explores the complicated nature of teenage relationships.
Suitable for ages 14+
In Association with Soho Theatre
Reasons to book
- From September 2020, teaching Relationship and Sex Education (RSE) becomes compulsory. Birds and Bees is linked to the curriculum and will enable teachers to facilitate complex conversations in a creative and accessible way.
- Birds and Bees also has strong links to the wider Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) Curriculum including Health, Wellbeing and Relationships.
- The production is an opportunity for GCSE Drama students to fulfil their ‘Live Theatre Production’ evaluation and review.
- We are an Arts Award Supporter and Artsmark Partner, our productions are suitable for students working towards all levels of Arts Award.
- Birds and Bees is written by award winning writer Charlotte Josephine, recently listed as one of Theatre Weekly’s 10 ‘Rising Stars of 2020’.
- It dramatises contemporary issues around relationships and consent in an exciting theatrical form featuring Live Loop music.
- Performances are accompanied by a free copy of the script, learning resources, lesson plans, video Q&As with creatives and an optional free postshow discussion.
- Our workshops develop your students’ storytelling, devising and analytical skills led by professional actors.
- We’ve been creating top-class theatre in schools for almost 70 years!
Who is it suitable for?
The production is suitable for Yrs 10-13 (ages 14+). We’d love to make the show happen in your school. If you’d like to book for Yr 9s, please get in touch to chat through the issues raised in the play to assess appropriateness for your students.
How much does is cost?
Checkout full pricing details in the downloadable School’s Pack.
We’re thrilled to be producing this brand-new production, and hope to be visiting your school soon. Book today, get in touch via Niamh@theatre-centre.co.uk or give us a call on 020 7729 3066.
“The quality of the work is always exceptional, from the writing to the performance itself. Theatre Centre’s work is challenging and often introduces students to new ideas and ways of working”
– Teacher, William Ellis School