The Muddy Choir
"The best resources for schools I have seen... I look forward to welcoming back Theatre Centre for many years to come!"
Oliver Laurenson-Gore, Education Officer, Norden Farm Centre for the Arts
"By using a performance to draw upon further creative work, you are giving the children a shared foundation, an experience that they all have in common and that they can draw upon to inspire them."
Rosy Fordham, Education Practitioner
The whiteboard friendly ideas and activities on this page are designed to deepen the experience of performances of The Muddy Choir and engage students in further debate, discussion and creative work. They were created to develop understanding in the areas of Drama.
The Muddy Choir is touring to schools and theatres across the UK between September 2014 and November 2014 and from January-March 2015.
If you have any questions about the content of the resources or would like to offer feedback, we would be very happy to hear from you. E-mail us here.
- The Session plans provide ideas for Drama lessons and includes work on character development, staging, the role of song in creating a narrative.
- The Facts contains information about the historical background of the play, including links to further information about specific aspects of the First World War.
- The Synopsis provides a simple breakdown of the story, including character profiles.
- The Glossary of Terms offers clear explanations of military terms that may be unfamiliar to the students.
Lyrics and songs used in The Muddy Choir will be uploaded at the beginning of September.
- A filmed interview with the director Natalie Wilson (above) opens up the background of the play -exploring its commission and development, reflecting on the journeys of the characters and talking about the rehearsal process.
- A filmed interview with playwright Jesse Briton (above) explores Jesse's development process and how he creates his characters.
Buy The Muddy Choir script
Published by Faber & Faber
Price £5 + postage and packing (RRP £9.99)
For bulk orders, please contact email@example.com
To find out more about our current schools touring activity, and to book a Theatre Centre production into your school, please visit our Shows pages.
You can keep up to date with Theatre Centre's latest shows by joining our mailing list.
Music is an integral part ofThe Muddy Choir. Here are some versions of the acapella songs from the show, sung by the cast and arranged by Zara Nunn.
Join our mailing list
Secondary school teachers subscribing now will receive a free sample lesson plan on creating characters, suitable for use with GCSE or A Level students. The plan includes a script extract and does not require any prior knowledge of the production.