About Theatre Centre
"I have long admired Theatre Centre’s work in producing fine plays for young audiences and doing everything possible to promote the genre through new writing."
Susan Elkin, The Stage
"Theatre Centre have been one of the best companies we have worked with on theatre for young people. They offer strong shows which young people want to see."
Jan Lennox, Director, Watermans Arts Centre
Theatre Centre empowers young leadership and youth activism through the arts, supporting and transforming children and young people to change the world by enriching their learning and leadership potential with theatre productions, creative projects and resources.
To realise our vision, we will employ the art and the craft of theatre and new writing across various programme strands and thus maximise our ability to achieve our triple bottom line; artistic excellence, social engagement and financial resilience and sustainability. We will do this by;
- Creating brilliant new plays and performance by, with and for children and young people that stimulate, provoke and facilitate questions about the world we live in and making it better
- Facilitating and supporting Creative Inquiry and Young Leadership through arts projects and programmes to promote children’s and young people’s voices, advocacy and activism
- Providing multiple learning “spaces” in our programme for children and young people and their stakeholders to make connections, both in knowledge and with people
- Introducing professional development initiatives to enrich wider learning provisions
- Reaching children and young people across the UK with limited access to inspiration from the arts; enlightening, empowering and including all young people wherever they live
Brian Way founded Theatre Centre in 1953. He wanted to make theatre for young audiences as high-quality and enriching as theatre for adults. Since then we have become a sector-leading new writing company, placing the highest importance on both artistic merit and the benefits for our audiences.
We remain a touring company because we believe all young people deserve the advantages theatre brings, and we know many grow up in areas without access to theatre.
We are an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.
Theatre Centre has worked with many award-winning writers, including Lisa Evans, Noël Grieg, Mike Kenny, Bryony Lavery, Roy Williams and Benjamin Zephaniah. Theatre Centre also administrates the Brian Way Award for Best New Play, the Adrienne Benham Award and the Dorothy L. Sayers Award.
What can we do for you?
Take a look at our News page for the latest updates from Theatre Centre, and join our mailing list to receive regular updates about Theatre Centre shows and our opportunities for teachers, writers and actors.
- Primary and secondary school teachers can browse our learning resources or book a Theatre Centre performance (we'll come to your school, or we might be performing at a venue near you).
- Writers can take a look at our Skylines resources for playwrights interested in writing for young audiences, or find out more about our programme of Awards.
- Actors and creatives can find out about our latest opportunities on our vacancies page.
- Researchers and students can browse our archive of past shows, or take a look at the company's history on the Unfinished Histories website.
If you can't find what you're looking for, or you'd like to find out more about our forthcoming shows and projects, visit the Contact us page to drop us a line.